Hair oils have become one of the buzziest trends in recent times, with products making waves on social media and becoming firm features in home haircare regimes. But there is still some confusion around these wonder products, with questions running from which hair oils to choose and where to use them in a routine. Here, we go through the key facts about hair oils to help you amp up your haircare regime with the right oil and achieve enviable locks.
What are the benefits of hair oils?
The right hair oil can provide a whole list of benefits for your hair, from upping your hair health overall to boosting elasticity, gloss, and enhancing colour. It does this by nourishing the hair from deep within the structure of each strand, which helps to minimise split ends while preventing dryness and unmanageability.
And yes, this can apply to all hair types, even if yours is prone to greasiness. Just like our skin, hair can reap balancing perks with the right oil application, as it can regulate sebum production (AKA the oil produced by your scalp which can lead to greasiness) on your scalp.
Which hair oil is right for me?
Depending on your hair type, certain products hold the key to softer, smoother and shiner tresses. That said, there are some standout ingredients that can benefit any hair type, so doing a little exploration of the options can help you unlock the secret to your best hair days.
As formulators of hair products, including the NEW Plex Bond 4 Restoring Hair Oil , we have a few favourite ingredients with the potential to add lustre to almost any hair type, and here’s why:
- Sweet Almond Oil – this gorgeously nourishing oil is brimming with omega-9 fatty acids, high levels of protein and Vitamin E. Together, these nutrients have the power to restore shine and strength while softening, repairing and building your hair’s resilience.
- Chai Seed Oil – a lesser-known beauty ingredient, Chai Seed Oil is the key to reducing frizz and promoting shine. Thanks to its rich fatty acid content, it penetrates the hair shaft to condition from the inside out, and locks in moisture to maximise your hair health for shine and smoothness.
- Vitamin E – your skin-balancing BFF, Vitamin E has long been hailed for its super beauty benefits. Applied to the hair and scalp, it offers the same goodness, balancing oil production and pH levels, and soothing and hydrating the scalp. At the same time, it reduces free radical damage, which means you can tackle sun-damaged hair like a pro.
How to use hair oil
There are a couple of ways to get the most from your hair oil, and FYI, you can use oils on either damp or dry hair. To figure out your approach, start by thinking about how your hair feels and the typical challenges you face, then skip to the bit below that sounds most like you:
- For hair prone to frizz: believe us, for you, hair oils can be a true hero product. Apply a few drops to your palms and gently rub them together, then smooth over the lengths and ends of dry hair to tame the mane. This can be done whenever your hair is crying out for some TLC. Note: this can be extra effective for adding shine to curly hair.
- For dry, dehydrated hair: start with a few drops to your palms and rub them together, then use your fingers to run the oil through the lengths and ends of clean, damp hair before styling or leaving to dry. This will help to lock in moisture after washing, and you can repeat it as often as needed, whether it’s weekly or after every wash.
- Panthenol, also known as Pro-Vitamin B5 is a key ingredient for hydration. A natural humectant and emollient, it can benefit most hair types by helping to retain moisture, smooth strands, strengthen from the hair cortex outward and balance moisture. Find this multi-tasking ingredient in our Cleansing Shampoo, Hydrating Conditioner, and Styling Serum.
- For oily scalps and dry ends: begin with a few drops in your palms and rub them together, then start to massage into your scalp, running the oil through to the lengths and ends of just-washed hair. Go easy, a little goes a long way. You can top up the moisture in the ends of your hair between washes with a little extra oil.
To try our NEW Plex System Restoring Hair Oil head to our online store or contact us for more advice on using our hair oil for your hair type.